Check_MK is able to monitor ESXi or vCenter out of the box. The configuration requires 2 steps and preferred a read only user.
1. Login to Check_MK
2. Create new Host
Hostname: ESXi/vCenter Name or fqdn IP Address: ESXi/vCenter Management IP
Save & Go to Services
The error message is normal and we can ignore it.
3. Go to Host & Service Parameters
4. Click on Datasource Programs
5. Click Check state of VMWare ESX via vSphere
6. Create rule in folder Main directory
Explicit hosts: ESXi-Name vSphere User name: ReadOnlyUser-Name vSphere secret: Password of the ReadOnlyUser Select Host Systems Virtual Machines Datastores Performance Counters License Usage Select Display ESX Host power state on Display VM power state on Placeholder VMs
8. Click on Save
9. Activate your changes
10. Click on Hosts
11. Click on Hosts
3rd icon – Edit services of host
12. Activate missing
13. Activate your changes –> see step 9
14. Check your discovered services.
Go to Views –> All Services
15. Click on the refresh icon next to Check_MK and Check_MK Discovery
That’s all. If you have question just leave a comment.