OpenSource RedHat Satellite Server – Spacewalk
I found this software during my search for a management solution for a virtual appliance farm running hundreds of CentOS based virtual machines. As CentOS is binary compatible to RedHat it makes sense to use a RedHat satellite server equivalent for software management.
Spacewalk is an open source (GPLv2) Linux systems management solution. It is the upstream community project from which the Red Hat Network Satellite product is derived.
What Can Spacewalk Do?
Spacewalk is an open source (GPLv2) Linux systems management solution that allows you to:
- Inventory your systems (hardware and software information)
- Install and update software on your systems
- Collect and distribute your custom software packages into manageable groups
- Provision (kickstart) your systems
- Manage and deploy configuration files to your systems
- Monitor your systems
- Provision and start/stop/configure virtual guests
- Distribute content across multiple geographical sites in an efficient manner.